Thursday, April 26, 2012

Work-related

My inconsistent running has been due to work-related stresses. My mind is full of thoughts I can't figure out. Usually running helps to clear my head but this is something else entirely. This is bigger than running. It's bigger than crossfit. So, instead of turning to my workouts to help solve the problem, I'm just going to take them when I can get them. And try to enjoy them for what they are - stress relief.

After the Platte River half, I had some knee pain that was troubling me. I ran a 5K on the Tuesday after the half when I probably should have been resting.
On Wednesday, I went to Kaiser. As luck would have it, the only doctor available that day was a woman about my age who is a runner. (I suppose the odds are pretty good that a doctor will also be a runner here in Colorado.) At any rate, I had some xrays and a consult with this ortho doc. She said that I probably have bursitis in my hip (which is where this knee pain originated) but she didn't think it was related to the knee. The knee she thought was probably some over use to some degree. My training leading up to the half was pretty haphazard and mostly crossfit. So, the distance was a bit much when I stopped to think about it. She prescribed 5 days of rest. That took me through this past Monday.

On Tuesday, I met my boot camp friends for a workout in the park near work. We did some hill sprints, squats, lunges, abs, and burpees. The knee felt just fine. :-) On Wednesday, I went to crossfit. The WOD was a 16 minute AMRAP - 5 95lb deadlifts, 10 bar facing burpees, 15 20lb floor dumbbell presses. I tried to lift 25lb DB and that just killed my left shoulder. I was done after that first round even after switching to the 20lb. Ugh. Working out that work stress is tough.

Today, I packed my running gear but didn't make it out the door. Tomorrow I am taking a mini vacation with my sister-in-law. We both feel the need to get out of dodge for a bit. I'll pack my running gear. And I'll get to crossfit in the morning before we hit the road. But, if I run, great. If not, that will have to do for now.

I do have a trail run on May 5th. 8 miles. I'm not worried. It's my first trial race so I'm a bit disappointed that I haven't been training for it. But, I'll train for the trail half coming up in September. My mom will be back for her 2nd knee surgery by then. I'm trying not to project too far ahead because it stresses me out. But, I do have a few races that I'm registered for. Hopefully my counseling sessions will put me back on track and life back into perspective. Then I can just relax and run again.

Mini vacation tomorrow! Soaking in the Thermopolis hot spring! Woot! Woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment