Monday, April 2, 2012

Two Ponds NWR

Tucked away in Arvada is the Two Ponds National Wildlife Refuge. I'd been there once a long time ago, probably for a raptor thing, but I don't really remember. Apparently, the two trail heads I pass every day on my way to work are part of this NWR system. Who knew? Well, probably lots of people. Anyway, on my run Sunday, I decided to venture onto the trail for a bit. I didn't know where it went or how long it would be or anything but, I went anyway.

I took the trail head that is just south of the building labeled "Arvada Health Center Optical" on the Google map above. There was a kiosk with a map which was very helpful. I ran clockwise on the outer loop which put me right at the junction where W. 77th Dr. is marked on the map. There was another kiosk and signage at that junction. I took these photos from that vantage point.

 Being a NWR, only hiking is allowed. You can't even picnic here.
 It would be nice if these markers were at the trail junctions too.
 Nice! Could be anywhere in Colorado but it's right smack dab in the middle of the suburbs.
That's Kipling at the light.

Maybe next time I'll venture over the bridge and into the park. It was a fun trek off the pavement in the middle of my 6 mile run.

No comments:

Post a Comment