Friday, March 25, 2011

Plan weekly, adjust daily...

That's been my mantra since the Joyful Running workshop. I've been able to keep my focus much better when I think short term - a week at a time. My goals and training plans were starting to overwhelm me until I put them into this perspective. Now, I can more easily adjust because I only think a week at a time, I don't think about how missing a run might impact my race 10 weeks from now. It sounds simple but it really wasn't. Anyway...

This week, I missed my Tuesday run because it was so freaking windy out. I just did not want to be out in the wind, or the smoke from the fire in Golden. I'd already taken my Monday rest day but then ended up with two rest days in a row. On Monday, I did my core workout so that was good. Instead of freaking out about two non-running days, I just adjusted. I ran Wednesday and Thursday. Both were pretty good runs too. Thursday I ran at a place I'd never been before and was pretty fast (10:08 mile pace). I was really happy with that. I was also happy to find that my hips and feet didn't feel too sore doing the whole 3.7 miles on the bike path. I hadn't done that kind of run in a long time.

I'd been running on trails or mixed trails for about a week and a half and I think my hips were able to get stronger or heal or whatever they needed. Or maybe it was just stopping boot camp. Anyway, I feel very good today.

I'm not sure what I'll do tomorrow. I'll do something, either a bike ride with the hubby (we keep talking about that but haven't done it yet), or an easy run on the treadmill or at the park. We'll see what the weather holds and how I feel. Sunday is the Boulder Spring 10K. I'm feeling good but a little intimidated but the elite crowd that will be there. I hope there are some fun runners out there too. I picked up my race packet today on the way home from Estes.

This afternoon I drove up to Estes Park to pick up the jacket and glove I'd left behind after the workshop. I also drove much of the route for the half marathon. It's not nearly as intimidating as it sounds on the web site. Not that I think it'll be easy, but I feel much better about my training plan and my ability to be successful now that I've seen it.

I focused on being properly fueled all day today so that my body will be ready for Sunday. This will be the longest run of my training so far. I wish I'd prepared more for this specific race but I'm happy with where I am in my overall training. No worries. It's all good.

Finish strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment