Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Lunch Run + Training Thoughts

I managed about 3.2 miles today over my lunch break. It was the first run of substance I've had since the Frozen Foot 5K. Ugh. But, I had a pretty good time - about 36 minutes - so I was happy with that. And I think running on the treadmill all this time (except for the 5K) had also taken it's toll. My legs felt very heavy. I walked quite a bit. I think the heaviness was also from the boot camp day of sprints on Monday. Ugh. If I can get another one in on Thursday I'll be happy. But, we'll see.

So, I've been thinking hard about my training for Estes. I really need to focus on actual training for this one. I have about 3 more weeks of boot camp and after that there is a two week break for spring break. After that, boot camp goes back outside to the park. There are about 14 weeks until the Estes Park half. I was planning to skip the 5 weeks of boot camp prior to the race. Which would mean only one outdoor session for me to participate in. My plan is to register for only two days a week instead of three. If I can taper boot camp, maybe I'll have more energy and time for my running. And skipping the session prior to the race, that's actually because I'll be out of town for three weeks during that time. So, with that time off from boot camp before the half, I can also focus more on my running.

I need to sit down with these thoughts and put them on my training calendar before I forget and over book myself again. That was hard work as I prepared for the Las Vegas half. This half in Estes will be much more challenging than the flat out and back in Vegas. But, I'm getting my game face on. I've even mapped out a good hill training run. A 5 mile loop with a mile and a half of uphill! Should be fun! Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment