Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Treadmill

When I decided last year (?) to start running and to train for a half marathon, I bought a treadmill at Kmart. (I think it was Kmart but the hubby thinks it was Big 5.) It's a Weslo Cadence 25 and I'm pretty sure we didn't spend more than $200 on it. Maybe it was $150. We didn't want to spend much on it. I really wasn't sure I'd use it much but had good intentions, so spending as little as we could was more important than getting a good quality machine. I've used it quite a bit, and have certainly gotten my money's worth. It works very well considering how cheap it was. It has 4 built in workouts. I've used a couple of them a few times. There are no bells and whistles - no iPod plug in, no fan, no heart rate monitor, no built in tv. It also has a manual incline. That's really the only drawback that I've found. As I train for the Estes Park Half, I wonder if I should upgrade to something with an auto incline to help me train for the hills.

The race isn't until June 12th. That's plenty of time to train outside after the snow stops flying and the temperatures increase. So, I'm not too worried about that. I just like to shop and a new treadmill would be really nice. Of course, it wouldn't have to be brand new. I've seen a couple on Craig's List that are near new and less than $300. That might be something to consider.

Maybe it's the weather that is making me think about this. I'm working from home today due to the snow and ice on the roads. And I need to run 3 miles today. Even running on the indoor track doesn't give me any hill workouts. But, there is also outdoor boot camp coming up in about 5 weeks. We do plenty of hill workouts in the outdoor camp.

Ok. I guess I don't really need a new treadmill. The one I have is good for maintenance mode. And is also good for walking. And it does have two cup holders. :-)

[edit]

Here is the current view from my treadmill, updated since this post...

And a close up view of the map on the wall...

Outlined in green is the route for the 2011 Estes Park Half. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment