Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Doubts

Sunday is the Frozen Foot 5K. My original goal for this run was to finish in the top half of my age group. But, then I started thinking I could do more than just that. I wanted to finish in a certain time. I wanted to finish under 32 minutes. I don't know where that idea came from. I think I started feeling pretty good one day and my mind just started filling with possibilities.  Not that a sub-32 minute 5K is totally out of the box for me. It's just that my training has fallen off a bit lately. I think I came to the sub-32 minute goal too late. So, now, I am filled with doubt about how I will finish on Sunday.

I've never really set time goals for myself, aside from the Vegas half marathon, which was to finish in less than the four hour cut off time. I don't think my training, if you can even call it that, is focused enough to set lofty goals. Mostly I just want to enjoy the event and maybe win something in the raffle at the end. So, I'm trying not to stress myself out for Sunday. I think if it snows a little during the run that will help to relax me. It's a fun run and a fund raiser so, no pressure. Just get out there and push a little and see what happens. That's what I need to do.

I didn't run today. Monday was test day at boot camp. My mile time was slower than at the beginning of the session. 5 weeks ago I ran my fastest mile which was 9:36. Monday I finished in 10:05. That's really where my doubts began... I also have to remember my ultimate goal is the Estes Park Half. So, these fun runs are just to keep me honest and keep me on track. So, why do I feel so crummy about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment