Monday, February 7, 2011

5K News

Sunday, I ran about 4 miles in 42:37 on the indoor track at the rec center. I just realized that I completed my very first 5K, back in March 2010, in 42:01. Wow! No wonder I felt so happy about that time. That is amazing to me that I have improved so much. I feel quite proud of myself for that. So, if my calculations are correct, my 10:22 pace would have given me about a 32 minute 5K which would have bettered my first time by 10 whole minutes! I am so psyched now for the Frozen Foot 5K! I just registered for it yesterday. It's on campus at CU so will be flat and fast, they say. I've also read that if it's cold out you tend to run faster. That first 5K was also on campus at CU and I'm pretty sure it's the same exact route. So, this will be a good test to truly see how far I've come in this year. I can't wait!

I debated about registering for it because I'm supposed to get in a 5 mile long run that day per my training schedule. But, that schedule is not accurate any more. I'd set it up to train me for the Colfax run in May but now I'm actually training for the Estes Park Half in June. The Colfax run is a relay and I'll put in a 6 mile leg that day. So, it's more training leading up to my ultimate goal of finishing the Estes Park Half. So, extending my 5 mile run to the next week won't do me in. The 5K will be a nice confidence booster. My goal for the Frozen Foot is to finish in the top half of my age group. It's good to have goals. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment