Sunday, February 20, 2011

Frozen Foot 5K

I did it!!  Woo hoo!! This was my first real race with intention. My goal was to finish in the top half of my age group and I did it!! And managed my fastest 5K time to date. :-)  Yay!!  And how did it compare to my first 5K, which was on the same course (more or less)? The Water Buffalo Stampede I finished in 42:01. My last official 5K was in January, the Yeti Chase, which I finished in 36:35. Today's official finishing time? 32:28!! I'm so excited!

This week I'd almost psyched myself out with doubts for this race. I'd gotten it into my head that I could finish in less than 32 minutes. And then, I had my mile time trial at boot camp which was much slower than my previous time trial. That had me down. But, I came back around and realized I was just supposed to have fun and do my best.

I started out pretty fast. I was trying to get ahead of some of the "slower" runners. (Ha! I'm still a slower runner myself.) I wanted to try to push myself to see how well I could do. So, I started out fast - for me. And then, as expected, my legs got tired. I took a couple of walk breaks. The course wasn't marked for distance and there wasn't an aid station like I thought there would be. I thought I'd read there would be one at the halfway mark so I was looking for it. When I didn't see it, I started to think I was going to be in trouble because it was going to be my guide for my pace. So, then I was confused about how far I'd gone and didn't know when to start kicking for the end.  On my last walk break, one of the route marshals gave me a thumbs up and said, "You've got less than a mile to go and it's all downhill!" Woo hoo!! Those were the best words I'd heard all day! So, I kicked it but only a little so I'd have enough left for the finish. When I hit the final chute, I started to sprint. It felt awesome!

32:28

Woo hoo!!
















No comments:

Post a Comment