Sunday, April 21, 2013

Crossfit is Sinking In

The latest Women Only On Ramp class has ended which means we have new classmates. Which also means, I am officially not the new girl anymore. Woo hoo!! Maybe that had something to do with my confidence on Friday. Or maybe it was just that I was familiar enough with all the exercises. At any rate, something seemed to click for me on Friday. It was a long WOD, 30 minutes, but I was able to stay focused and get through everything confidently.

The WOD:
We had 6 minutes to complete each exercise. When it was completed, we had the remaining 6 minutes to rest before starting the next one. My effort went like this...

500M row took about two and a half minutes. We all finished about the same time. With the remaining time I took a potty break and got my water bottle.

The 400M run I completed in about 2 minutes. I finished about 3rd to last, finishing strong.

I was most excited about the pullups. I'd had a dream earlier in the week about being able to do pullups. We had 2:30 to complete as many pullups as we could. I was using two green bands for my assist. Also, on the warm up, Ali (our coach) made the suggestion that folks could watch my pullups if they wanted to see proper form. That made me feel very good and confident! I was able to complete 45 pullups! I was super excited about that.

Then came the kettlebell swings. On Wednesday, we'd don't both kettlebell swings and thrusters so I felt confident in my ability to do them and do them well, but I was pretty sore and my shoulder was pretty tired. It took me all 6 minutes to finish the kettlebell swings. And I was using the lightest weight I could, 8lbs. Ugh. For a while I wasn't sure I was even going to finish. Ugh. It was hard but I kept going and pushed through to get it done. Woot.

Because I finished last and without any rest time, the rest of the class started their 30 dumbbell thrusters right on time. I had to rest before starting my set. I think I rested for a full minute before I started. I knew that I'd probably be last at that point but it didn't matter. I think everyone finished when I hit 20 reps. I was trying to do sets of 5 but couldn't manage more than two really. Ali asked if my shoulder was bothering me, which it was. She suggested I only go overhead with one dumbbell. (I think she was kidding but I'm not sure.) I asked if I should drop to 10lbs in my left and keep the 15lb in my right. She said that would be weird but I could switch to the 10lbs if I wanted to (since everyone else was done). So, that's what I did. Two sets of 5 and done.

I really liked this work out. It was hard and it was long but I could do all the exercises without modifying at all. I had my usual assists but that is ok.

My shoulder has been bothering me a bit more. I've done three weeks of PT but have slacked off a bit with my stretches and prescribed exercises. I need to get back on track with that. And maybe ice more after these long or heavy shoulder exercises. I am still very sore even two days after Friday's WOD. And not just my shoulder, but my pullup effort is also what I'm feeling.

Can't wait for Monday. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment