Saturday, January 1, 2011

Welcome!


Welcome to my new blog!

I have another blog all about my motorcycling habit. That fabulous motorcycle was a gift to myself for starting to work out back in the summer of 2009, which is where this story actually begins. I signed up for a fitness boot camp that was happening at 5:15pm right across the street from my office. How perfect is that?! One common belief is that the way to keep yourself invested in something that's good for you, is to reward yourself for the good behavior. I told myself, if I was really good, and invested in my own health, I'd buy myself a new motorcycle as a reward. At the time I was quite infatuated with the BMW F650GS dual sport motorbike. A couple of folks that I knew had them, including some family. My sister-in-law even let me ride her GS. Wow. It was awesome and I was hooked. And, I was still working out. It seemed like a brilliant win-win situation for me. So, in September of 2009, I convinced my hubby that I should have a brand new one. :-) September 11th I rode it home. It was also the last day I worked out. Go figure. I had a new toy!!

Soooo.... I actually felt pretty guilty about it and I was again out of shape. Funny how quickly that happens once you hit that 40-something age bracket. So, my 2010 new year's resolution was (drum roll please....) to run a half marathon. (What was I thinking?!) I chose the Estes Park Half Marathon because it was on June 13th. 13 on the 13th was my mantra. June seemed far enough away for me to figure out a training plan and steel myself for the long haul. I even convinced my hubby to buy a treadmill (a cheap one). And I think I even walked on it a few times. But, I needed some reality. So, in April 2010, I signed up again for the boot camp. I'd really enjoyed it the first time around and it proved to be very effective over a short amount of time. It also had me in good running shape.

I've been going non-stop to the boot camp since then. The results have been fantastic and I'm very very happy and feel very healthy these days. I managed to follow through on my half marathon goal as well, although, I didn't make it to the Estes Park event in June. I ran the Las Vegas Rock and Roll half marathon with some good friends. That was on December 5th. (Completed that resolution just in the nick of time!)
I finished in 2 hours and 49 minutes, which made me super happy as well. And I finished in pretty good shape too. Ready for more.

So, why the blog? Well, I'm at the now what phase of this running thing. I've found I really enjoy it but, I haven't done much of it since the Vegas half. I do have plans for more but I don't have any goals laid out. So, that's why the blog. Keeping track of my running habit, or what I hope will be a habit, will, hopefully, keep me motivated and moving.

So, here we go!

Happy New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment