Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Thinking and running...

I made this post on my other blog (http://g650gs.blogspot.com/2011/01/inside-my-helmet.html) about the solitude of riding my motorcycle.  As I was writing it, I realized that's also how I feel about running.  I don't run with music.  I haven't found any ear buds that fit my ears or that will stay in my ears when I'm sweating.  When I first started running I ran on the treadmill.  I listened to my iPod, usually audio books not music, mostly to keep the people who lived with me from talking to me.  My hubby is better trained now, and the kids have moved out.  (Thanks Love!)  But, the ear pieces would always fall out after a while so I stopped bothering with them.  When I started running outside, I was more comfortable being able to hear what was going on around me.  I also didn't want to carry anything extra.  Of course, I do run with my iPhone and use the iMapMyFitness app to record my runs, so I guess that's not really a good excuse.  Anyway, I just became accustomed to running without music.

I don't get bored on my runs.  I am quite comfortable in my head with my own thoughts.  Mostly, I think about the run.  How's my breathing?  Am I going to fast?  Do my legs hurt?  Should I run faster?  I'm not really training for speed or anything.  I'm just running because I want to and because I still can.  So, there isn't any pressure on myself to do sprints or hill work or anything like that.  For me it's more about comfort.  Should I go one more mile or turn around?  Should I walk this mile and run the next?  Training for the half marathon, I focused only on getting the miles in, not at all on how fast or slow or how much I walked versus ran them.  Just the miles.  There is something meditative about that for me that I really enjoy.  Because of this I am also comfortable on the treadmill.  I just focus on me and how I feel.

It's funny to think about being at this point because there was a time when I didn't even want to think about running or working out.  It's nice to be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment