Thursday, March 21, 2013

Rest

So, I've been doing this CrossFit thing now for 10 weeks, 3 times a week. I've missed a couple of classes due to illness and travel but not many. According to my coach, I've hit a plateau, which is normal. That's the professional term for hitting the wall or having a mini meltdown, which is what happened to me on Monday.

The WOD was 4 rounds for time: 15 power cleans, 12 back squats, 9 pull-ups. Not particularly intimidating really. But, right off the bat I'm needing to modify the back squats. It hurts my shoulder to have my arms in that position.

http://www.t-nation.com/img/photos/2011/11-708-04/back-squat.jpg
http://www.t-nation.com/img/photos/2011/11-708-04/back-squat.jpg
No problem, I modify to the front squat instead. But, that's not as heavy a lifting position so I was bummed about that and started psyching myself out. I was also already very tired. It seems I can't catch up on my sleep lately. And, I didn't eat well before class. You can see where this is going.

Friday's WOD had included shoulder pushups which really made my shoulder unhappy. In the middle of that workout I had to modify. I got a solid set in the first round but the 2nd was ugly and I barely made it through them. On the 3rd set I modified to ring rows. I was bummed about that as well. I guess some of that carried over into Monday. All of those factors created a perfect storm or pity party in my head. I didn't complete the WOD. I even fought some tears throughout the set making me more upset with myself.

I know there are certain moves I can't do right now because of my shoulder mobility. I just really need to focus and work on that. But, a few things have happened recently that are allowing me to think more proactively about it. I'm trying to get in to see this PT who has an office close to my house. I attended a lecture by him on shoulder pain and crossfit a couple of weeks ago and it was enlightening. Three things I learned. It's not as bad as I thought. Rest for recovery. If it hurts, don't do it because you can't work through shoulder pain.

I have the tools and much of the knowledge. I need to put them into practice. I took Wednesday off and plan to be back on Friday with a bit more enthusiasm and focus. I just have to work through this plateau. This is a long term commitment so one crappy day is just that. One day. 11 weeks ago I wasn't even sure I'd be doing any of this. I've seen lots of improvement, even in my mobility. I just need to keep showing up.

And I need to figure out how to work my running back into my training plan...

No comments:

Post a Comment