Monday, March 25, 2013

Always something...

Lately, it seems, every CrossFit WOD brings a new challenge. And not just the types of challenges I am paying for and expect but, the kind of challenges that I have to figure out why they are challenges. For example, today's WOD was a 10 minute AMRAP - 5 dead lifts, 100 yard sprint. On the surface I thought, whew, things I'm good at. The dead lift was supposed to be 30% of our 1 rep max. I hadn't yet done a 1 rep max so coach Ali determined my weight based on my 5 rep (120#) and 3 rep (145#) weights. I lifted 65lbs. In 10 minutes she was expecting 8-10 or more rounds. I finished with 6.

My back started to cramp after the 3rd round. Ali had me do a rocking stretch on the floor, which really helped but, it cost me time and reps in the long run. But, if I hadn't stopped, I would have had spasms in my back during the runs. There were times when I couldn't run at all but had to walk. The sprints were 6 lengths of the width of the gym, sort of like running lines. I could feel the muscles in my back affecting my hamstrings and running felt really weird. WTH? Ali said it may be due in part to my tight hamstrings. And she also said my dead lift form was a bit off. She said I was leaning a bit forward. I could feel a difference when I corrected but it was too late at that point. My back wasn't having any of it.

After my rough go last week when I had a mini break down on Monday, I've been trying to just suck it up and understand that I'm going to have these kinds of days as I push through this 3rd month. It doesn't feel like a plateau but I suppose it is. It feels more like I'm going backwards and am on the verge of injuring myself. Or, as if I don't really know what my body is going to do next. It's a little disconcerting. But, I'm trying to remain focused. And I'm trying to remember how much I have accomplished and how far I've come. Some days it's really hard to remember all of those positive things.

I also am pretty sure I'm getting sick. It's always something.

This week, thanks to spring break, I get to take an extra rest day. I'm looking forward to that. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment