Saturday, March 23, 2013

CrossFit Games at CrossFit Roots!

On Wednesday, the announcement of workout 13.3 happened at my gym, CrossFit Roots. I volunteered to help out from 4-8 with the crowds and any task they needed me to do that afternoon and evening. It was amazing!

There were people queued up when I got there just before 4:00, hoping to get a front row seat for the action.

There were bleachers set up, barricades around the workout area, and all sorts of equipment for the cameras and the broadcast.

There was also a feed station set up for FREE barbeque courtesy of CrossFit HQ. Pretty cool. There was even an after party with free beer and more food at a hotel after the event. I skipped that part. It was a school night after all. :-)

The estimate was over 700 people attended the event. Here are the Roots coaches being introduced.
And here are Kristan Clever and Talayna Fortunato after they were introduced and while they wait for the workout announcement.
Kristan Clever was the first CF athlete I started to follow when I became interested in the sport. I was pretty excited that she was coming to Boulder! I didn't take a photo with her though. Lots of people did and they were both very cool and hung out to chat with folks for a long time after the event. I'm kicking myself now that I didn't get a photo with her. Oh well.

The link to the broadcast is on the games web site. You can see me if you know where to look. ;-)

150 wall balls!!
30 muscle ups!! (Neither got through them.)
It was a really fun and exciting night. I'm so glad I went. The crowd was really fun, the food was great, and I got to see elite athletes struggle through a WOD just like we all do. They really struggled too. The altitude really played a big part and I don't think either of them expected that. I think we all felt a little proud or maybe smug that we work out every day at altitude. :-)
The view from Roots. :-)
I'm so very glad that I found this place. :-)




2 comments:

  1. I totally respect folks who do this... you included!! I'm a little scared to even try!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love my gym because they are coaches first and really pay attention to form and technique. And they are newbie friendly. :-)

    ReplyDelete