Sunday, March 31, 2013

A Training Run

 Well, it sure has been a while since I've written about a training run. I made it out to Van Bibber, my old stomping grounds, on a warm, sunny, Easter afternoon.

I even wore my running skirt. (It still fit!) I wasn't sure how I'd feel since I really haven't run at all in a very long time. In fact, next weekend is the Platte River Half Marathon, which was the last half marathon I ran. I told myself to just approach it like I do CrossFit. Accept the workout for what it is and push myself through it. I knew I'd run/walk it and wanted to get a good warm up so that I'd give myself the best possibility of success. And being a warm day, I was glad to be out there anyway.

Here are my Garmin results:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/291402282

Check out those split times! I even finished strong. :-) It felt good to be running and I owe this one to CrossFit training for sure. The only runs I've done have been weekend 5Ks with my sister where we mostly walk with some running. I did run/walk this one. The first mile was pretty slow but it was as slow as I wanted it to be. The second mile I felt more loose and ran a bit more. The last mile I tried to stretch it out and I think I only walked one time on a short uphill.

There was a guy I was "racing" against. He was power walking and carrying a cane. Carrying it, not using it. He was walking at a pace close to my running pace. I found him after I came off the trail and onto the bike path. He was a bit behind me and when I took my walk break I hear him catching up to me. At the turn around I stopped to stretch my calves and he passed me. I decided to run back on the horse trail because it helps my calves not to cramp up so much. I didn't really pass him but broke off from the bike path at the same time. I could still hear him even though we weren't on the same trail anymore. I think I "beat" him but it wasn't by much. LOL. We both hit the end and made a turn for a few more ticks on the odometer and he gave me a nod when I passed him on my way back out to complete my 3 miles.

My next registered event is the Cherry Creek Sneak 5K at the end of April. And, we plan to run a few of the Dash and Dine Tuesday runs in Boulder as well. I'm shooting for the most improved award. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment