Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Life and the pursuit of running

Ok. I just need to admit it. Life is in the way of my running right now. And, that's ok. Deep breath. I'll get back to it when I get back to it. Right now my priorities need to be elsewhere. I'm taking care of my mom while she rehabs after her knee replacement. You may recall we went through this at the beginning of the year. I suppose it's fitting for me to end the year the same way. Hmm. Putting it that way gives me some comfort and peace of mind actually. I like symmetry. It makes me happy.

My mom had knee replacement surgery on her left knee on January 16th. She had the right knee done September 18th. She stayed with my husband and I for her rehab. She lives in Atlanta but my sister and I live here. So, since my job allows me to take extended family medical leave, and I have a single level house with a guest room and guest bath, we thought it best for her to come to Denver for her surgery. It's worked out very well. Her rehab has been great. Having a dedicated support system in place does wonders for her spirit and recovery. This time around she even has a great-granddaughter to play with.

For the first knee surgery, we were all well prepared considering we didn't know what to expect. It was challenging but we had our game faces on and took everything in stride. For some reason, this time around we are all a bit more impatient. I think we know what to expect, having been through it once before, so are anticipating the end sooner. That's not a wholly bad thing but it makes everyone a bit anxious. I also have a lot more going on right now which causes added stress.

So, I think it's time to let go of what little control I think I have over everything and just relax and be in the moment. Enjoy my mother's time visiting and enjoy the grand babies when they visit. The running will be there when I have time to get back to it.

It's all good.

And another thought that gets me through the running down time... I've done most of my races and have been most successful in the winter. Yeah. I'm not done yet.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment