Tuesday, February 7, 2012

25 days --> R&R New Orleans

My training has been non-existent of late. Here is a summary since the new year...

Jan. 1st I ran the Resolution Run 5K. It felt really good but I really didn't want to do it when I woke up that morning. I almost bailed. What I found out later that day was that I had acquired the cold from hell which would last about 10 days. No running happened until Jan 13 when I did 25 minutes on the treadmill. On the 15th I did a long run with the ARC and went 7.6 miles. The next day was my mom's knee replacement surgery. I didn't run again until the 25th when I did 35 minutes on the treadmill. On the 26th I did 30 minutes on the treadmill. On the 30th I did 35 minutes on the treadmill. On Feb. 1st I ventured outside and managed a difficult 3.17 miles at Van Bibber. Even though it felt hard, I finished in 34:51 (an 11:07 pace) which is pretty good all things considered. On the 2nd I did a CrossFit workout that was kick ass! But, my next run wasn't until this morning.

So, here I am, with 25 days to go. And, more immediately, a 10 mile race in 10 days. I have a new plan.

When I registered for the Rock and Roll New Orleans half, I set a time goal for myself. My first time goal ever. I want to finish in 2 hours and 30 minutes or less. It wasn't a very ambitious goal after I thought about it. My fastest time had been 2:45 in Estes Park and that included time to take lots of photos along the way and even to stop for a 5 minute potty break. And I even walked the last mile because I started to get a headache. So, the goal seemed easily attainable. All I had to do was stay on track and get my runs in. When I found the ARC to do long runs with, it seemed everything had fallen into place. Even my mom's knee surgery seemed to be of some benefit to me because I'd be home with her and not at work trying to fit in a run when I could. But, that last point is the one I underestimated.

So, here I am struggling to catch up. I don't know if it's even possible but I'm giving it my best shot. My new plan will be to stop fighting the rehab schedule. We have a set schedule now that we have been home for two weeks. The driving force for the schedule is when my mom needs to take her pain meds. Every 6 hours at the 10 and 4 o'clock hour. So, we go to bed at 10pm when she takes two Tylenol. And we wake up at 4am to take two more. This morning, when my husband's alarm went off at 5am, I decided it didn't make any sense to try to struggle to get back to sleep. So, I got up, got dressed and hit the treadmill for about 45 minutes.

You should know, I am not a morning person. But, pain is a great motivator. I really do NOT want to run or finish that half marathon in pain. So, I'm going to strive to get up early for the treadmill runs. My weekly plan now looks like this:
Monday - Rest
Tuesday - Run
Wednesday - Crossfit
Thursday - Run
Friday - Crossfit
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Long run
If I can manage that for the next few weeks, I think I won't be suffering on March 4th. I don't know if I really need to taper, since I won't have put in very many miles anyway. The race will just be another long run I suppose. (That seems to be the way my training always goes anyway.)

25 days = 7 maintenance runs and 3 long runs and 6 or 8 crossfit sessions (depending on how I feel the week before the race)

Yikes. That's not very many runs left....

Game face.

Focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment