Monday, February 27, 2012

Less than a week!!!

On Friday I'll be leaving on a jet plane for my home town. The hay is in the barn as they say. I'm as ready as I'm going to be for this half marathon. My primary goal is 2:30. My secondary goal is better than 2:45 - my current PR. No matter the outcome, I'm planning to enjoy every step.

My last long run was 4.5 miles on Sunday with ARC. It'd been a while since I had the time to run with the club. Sunday was the official start of the spring training season so I wanted to be there for that. Spring workouts include a Sunday long run and Tuesday speed work. It's supposed to snow Tuesday so we may not have a workout this week. If we do, I'm planning to go and just run easy laps at the track. I really want to do the speed work once this half is over. My goal is to be faster. Not fast - just faster. Last year at this time I was actually running close to 10 minute miles during my 5Ks and 10Ks. That seems so far away right now. But, I know I can do it. I just need to relax and be consistent. Consistency is my biggest problem with running. Last year I was very consistent running about 3 days a week including a trail run and doing boot camp 3 times a week. I just have to get back to that schedule and I'll be good to go.

Sunday's long run was 4.5 miles and very very windy. I walked some parts because I didn't want to work so hard the weekend before my race. I was sad about that but when I got home and saw my Garmin report, my pace was the same as during my 10 miler. So, I was glad about that.

It's going to be very close I think. It is possible I can still make my time goal. The low elevation and the flat course will give me at least 5 minutes I think. I'm trying not to over think it. Just let it go and have a good run. It is only my first half of the year so there's plenty of time to still make the 2:30 goal if it doesn't happen in New Orleans. Sigh.

6 more days....

It's time to think about food - before and after food. Strawberry Abita is out. That's how I'll celebrate for sure! :-)

1 comment:

  1. If you don't make the 2:30 goal in this half, there's always Platte River with yours truly! :)

    ReplyDelete