Tuesday, April 5, 2011

April 4th - Boot Camp Test Day

The next fitness boot camp session began yesterday. It always begins and ends with a test day, designed to provide a baseline for improvement over the 5 week session. Now, even though I am not participating in the full session, I am attending to do my make up classes from the last session. I had to stop going last month to give myself a longer break and to help my body rest and recover from over doing it. So, I missed 5 classes which means I can attend one day a week this session. I also missed the last sessions test day, which was ok. The last test day for me was February 2nd.

Every session we do the same tests: recovery heart rate step test, crunches within 2 minutes or to fail, push ups to fail, static squat test up to 4 minutes, and a mile run. Here are my stats from yesterday and compared to the previous test.

Recovery heart rate: 108 (Feb), 87
Crunches: 86 (Feb), 104
Push Ups: 32 (Feb), 20
Squat test: 2:20 (Feb), 1:12
Mile run: 10:05 (Feb), 9:32

I was hoping this test would reflect that my new training plan, more running and less boot camp, would show the appropriate improvements and it did. I was most pleased with my recovery heart rate as it's never been that low. That was quite exciting. I did more crunches than last time which surprised me but I have been working on my fast abs during my boot camp break. Fewer push ups made me sad but I did expect that as well so that's ok. The mile run time was also pleasing. The time prior to the 10:05 time was 9:31. So, I was hoping to see something less than 10 minutes this time around. I was very very pleased with 9:32. :-)

So, it seems my plan is working. I am less stressed as well with my workouts, and with missing one or two. Today I forgot my sports bra so didn't get my run in at lunch. But, tomorrow is boot camp so I'm not too worried about missing it. I'll make it up at some point or I won't. It's all good.

Now, I need to find a race for April. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment