Saturday, January 11, 2014

Shoulder Pains/Shoulder Pangs

In all of my athletic career I have never been injured. I've had my share of scrapes and bruises and such but never an injury where I've had to sit out for any extended period of time. I've been really lucky in that regard. Maybe it's because I have almost always been one of the smallest, if not the smallest, people on my teams. I've always been fairly quick and I used to be pretty fast. Those facts helped me stay out of difficult and potentially hazardous situations. But now, I am a CrossFitter. And I'm 45 years old. There's no avoiding anything. CrossFit is an individual effort sport. It's you against you.

I started CrossFit about a year ago. I came into it a bit broken or at least out very of shape. I hadn't done much of anything aside from running (mainly in a straight line for a longish distance) and sitting at my desk. That means my arms rarely moved away from my midline and certainly never overhead. And I was not even thinking about doing any weight training. As a result, I developed a lack of mobility and strength in my shoulders. And quite honestly, it was never that great to begin with.

As I've progressed over the past year, I've gained a lot of mobility, not just in my shoulders but everywhere. I've also gained a lot of strength. With that has come some pain I've learned new lifts and pushed through some WODs. A lot of the pain is simply soreness that comes with progress. I've done some stretching, some PT treatments, some dry needling, and some massage. I should have probably done more of all of that. There's always more that could be done.

After some months of great gains - lots of PRs - my right shoulder began to have some pain. My rule of thumb had been if I had uneven pain, I would address it. Uneven pain being an indicator that it would be something more than general WOD soreness. I followed through a couple of times with my PT and had good results. This past week I have continued having this pain in my right shoulder. And that makes me worried.

It really really sucks to have made so much progress and then have this set back. I've not had to deal with this before and it's making me sad. But, I am trying to stay focused on all the positives. For example, it will be much easier to recover from this set back because I am in such good shape right now. It's easier to manage one armed because I am so much stronger than a year ago. I have lots of great resources to help me get through it. And I have a coach that is going to help me stay in shape while I recover. And, I have a really great excuse to get another massage.

So, here I go, on a new stage of rest and recovery. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment