Sunday, May 13, 2012

Good news, bad news

Today I ran the Westminster Women's Classic 5K. It's a race open only to women and was held on Mother's Day (today). There are 3 events - a 10K, 5K, and 2 mile walk. A while back I'd planned to run the 10K since I was, at that time, in half marathon form. But, today, I was glad to only have to run the 5K.

The good news? I ran my second fastest 5K ever - 33:22! The bad news? My knee hurts (still) and I walked some towards the end. WTH?

I'm not sure what's going on but it seems to be something related to how tight I am. When I went to the ortho doc after the Platte River half, she said I needed to rest and stretch and ice. I rested. I'm really really bad about stretching. I iced. I also didn't run much between that race and my next one - Greenland 8 mile. See that race report for my woes during that event.

I didn't run again after Greenland until today. My knee started hurting almost immediately, within the first mile. I almost stopped and quit. But, I didn't. I don't think I slowed down right away but I probably did. The route was part cement trail and part dirt/gravel trail. Once I hit the halfway, I just sucked it up. But, during the last mile, I had to take some short walk breaks. That sucked mentally but, there wasn't much else I could do at that point.

I'm thinking of taking to the stationary bike for a bit and picking up the crossfit again. I need to follow the doctor's instructions (and the sports masseuse from today as well) and stretch, foam roll, and strengthen my muscles around the knee. I read in a Runner's World article that mini burpees are good for strengthening the knees. Burpees are my kryptonite. It's time to face it though.

All of this begins after the vacation which begins one week from today! Woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment