Sunday, May 4, 2014

Indy Mini Marathon Race Report

Well hello!! It's been a while since I've blogged, eh?

This weekend I was in Indianapolis for the Indy Mini Marathon which is the largest half marathon in the country. 30,000 runners this time around. (28,935 per the official results page.)

When I registered for this one, my intention was to train in order to finish under 2 hours and 30 minutes. That's always been a goal of mine. (I came close in 2012 when I ran the New Orleans Rock and Roll half, finishing in 02:32:15. That was a fun race. I had family cheering for me along the route. The out and back part passed in front of my aunt's apartment. Very cool!) Soon after I registered, I started a new job and changed CrossFit gyms. It was just enough of an upheaval to throw off my training. Lots of that was my own lack of mental fortitude to get the miles in. No matter. I didn't get the miles in. In fact, my longest training run was only 6 miles and I didn't even run at all for about 3 weeks before the race. Crazy! I just knew I'd be hurting for the entire race. But, I also knew that I'd recover well. CrossFit has trained my body to recover from tough workouts. It has also trained me to suffer through tough workouts. This would be my 7th half marathon. I also knew exactly what I was in for with 6 races already completed.

My race plan was to start out slow and then ease up. No, really, that was my plan. Haha! Stop to enjoy it. Take lots of photos and just soak it all in.
Entering the Expo

Ready to go! New running kilt!

Waiting for the start

Approaching the start

This race was on my half marathon bucket list. Runners do a lap around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway!! My plan went back and forth about how much walking I'd do. Do I walk to the track so I have enough in the tank to run around it? Do I run to it and walk around it to have enough left to run to the finish? Walk a mile, run a mile? Walk 3, run 3, etc.? The biggest problem was that I had no idea how I was really going to feel once it started.

And then I remembered why I run half marathons. I really like them. :-)

The emotions of the event came forth when I arrived at the expo. Everyone is so friendly, wishing you good luck, asking where you are from, how many races you've done. Maybe this is the first time I really felt like one of them. I remember my first half in Las Vegas and being at the expo was so intimidating. This time, I felt more relaxed. It was just fun. No stress, no expectations. Just fun.

My hotel was very close to the start. I was able to sleep in and prep without worrying about getting lost or being late. Breakfast was a problem though. Since going mostly paleo with my diet, it's been more difficult to find food that I want to eat that won't upset my stomach. Eating those food items every now and then is ok but I didn't want to run on an upset stomach for 13 miles. I had a sort of plan but when the morning came, I had one of my leftover chicken peanut wrap things and some nuts and called it good. I also packed some Justin's nut butter packets to eat in place of the gels that they hand out.

I found my corral and settled in before deciding I should hit the port a potty. That didn't take very long, maybe 10 minutes but, by the time I got back to my corral it was so full people were queued up on the outside. Weird. I couldn't really tell if it was the right corral at that point but I queued up as well. Once the wave started moving it was fine and we all headed collectively to the start. I ate one of the nut butters as we walked to the start. I had my water bottles but hadn't filled them with water. I don't know why. :-/ I felt really unprepared. (By the way, I'd also hadn't run long enough to need food when I trained. So I had no idea if the nut butter was a good idea.)

Once the race started, I settled in at a 12:30 or so pace and it felt pretty good. There was music the entire race route. (The Rock and Roll series could really take lessons from the Mini.) It was great. All of these local musicians and dancers and DJs were cheering us on. Folks were sitting on their porches and hanging in their yards cheering us on. It was fantastic. I had a big smile on my face the whole time.

The pace felt comfortable so I decided to keep at it until I felt tired. The closer we got to the Speedway the more energy I seemed to gain. I love coming to this place. It is the embodiment of so many things I love - sport, history, tradition, competition, endurance. It also reminds me of New Orleans because of the family celebrations and traditions surrounding it for the locals. People hang signs on their houses welcoming race fans, letting them park in their yards, selling them waters. Just like Jazz Fest and Mardi Gras. I love it!

My brother and I have been to 5(?) Indy 500s. I am fairly familiar with the area. I knew how far away we were as we approached the Speedway. Here's some footage as we made the turn to the entrance. I was so excited!!


I couldn't believe I was actually doing this race and was about to run a lap at INDY! So awesome!

Just outside the Speedway
A friendly volunteer took this photo.
I still felt pretty strong at this point. But, I was about to hit a wall of sorts. As we started our lap, I slowed to take pictures and shoot some video. At turn 4, I started to walk and just soak it all in. My legs wouldn't run. I just wanted to soak it all in. It wasn't a physical wall but an emotional one.

Looking towards turn 3.
Entering turn 3 or is this approaching turn 4?
Exiting turn 4.
 
Selfie with the pagoda
Amazing to be here!

The pagoda
We've always sat between turns 4 and 1 for the 500. So, this bit of the track is familiar with lots of memories of the races we've attended. We witnessed the [edit: second] closest finish in Indy history. That was our first ever 500. (I really wanted Marco to win that one!) And this year, we aren't going to the 500. It will be the final race for Jim Nabors and I am quite sad to be missing it. Walking past the Pagoda was amazing. I wish we were going this year.

The bricks. I wasn't sure how to approach them. Lots of folks stop here to take selfies or have their friends take their picture kissing the bricks. Of course, I kissed them but I didn't get anyone to take my photo for me. There were official photographers set up there so I hope one of their photos comes out. I did take this one:
Selfie with the bricks!
I walked the rest of the track route, taking more pictures along the way and just soaking it all in.
Looking back, not wanting to leave just yet.
We left the track at just past the 8 mile mark. Less than 5 miles to go. I ate another nut butter, drank some water and gatorade (I filled my bottles at one of the aid stations) and took some deep breaths as I prepared to pick up the pace to the finish. Then, somewhere around mile 10 my knee and hip started hurting. I realized I was running to the left of the road which was crowned so I moved to the center, running on the double yellow. The pains went away. As long as I stayed in the center I felt fine. But, being a crowded race, there were lots of folks to dodge. I thought for sure I'd be closer to 14 miles with all the dodging I was doing.

I did have to stop to walk one more time in that last mile. It was the longest mile ever. It was a straight but I couldn't see the finish line for what felt like forever. When I finally saw it, I started to run again. Slow and steady. Just before the finish, there was a PA system playing Indy 500 finishes. As I approached they were playing the Marco Andretti and Sam Hornish finish, the [edit: second] closest in Indy history, the one we witnessed at our first Indy 500, the one my brother text to me for inspiration as I entered the Speedway. I love this place!

02:55:40 was my official time. Not anywhere close to my original goal. But, that goal was dropped well before I flew to Indy. The only goal I had was to have fun, take lots of photos, and finish. Mission accomplished! My Garmin tells me I had 10 full minutes of stoppage time. That included a potty break, photos on the way, slowing to text my brother and sister, stopping to fill my water bottles, and lots of time at the bricks. At the Speedway I had a 15 minute mile! It was great.

Thinking back on how I physically felt during the race, I could have easily run the whole thing at that 12+ minute mile pace and been comfortable. And if the attraction of the track wasn't so strong, there would have been less stopping. But, that's not what this race was about. It was the most fun I've had for sure. I smiled just about the whole way. I even shed a few tears after getting my medal. I feel very very fortunate and privileged to have my health when so many that I know and love do not. I feel very fortunate and privileged that I can make these trips, take time off from work to relax and celebrate all that is good in my life.

I can't wait to go back and do it again!
Best medal ever!!


1 comment:

  1. Our first Indy 500 was actually the second closest finish in the race's history. It is, however, the closest finish we've seen in the 4 times we have been. We did get to see that close finish, Helio climb the fence, Franchitti win another under caution and Dan Wheldon win his second in what would be his second to last race ever.

    ReplyDelete