Sunday, March 11, 2012

Long Slow Distance

I realized something last week as I reflected on the New Orleans half marathon. You know that feeling you get at the start of a race, when you start out too fast because you are so excited to finally get to that starting line? So, you run for a few minutes because everyone around you is also running faster than you, either because they are faster or because of the adrenaline. But, at some point, you figure out, either you are breathing too hard or your legs are screaming, "Slow down!" so you pull back and find your race pace. You know that feeling? I had that feeling for the first 10 miles of the half marathon in New Orleans. I remember telling myself I needed to slow down but I also though, just go with it. So, I went with it knowing I could slow down whenever I wanted. It was a fantastic feeling! The air was so warm. There was just enough humidity to make me feel comfortable. The cool temperature at the start of the run was perfect. Having trained in Colorado, it wasn't just the lower elevation on my side. It was the warmer humid air that made my lungs feel strong too. The few weeks leading up to the half were cold, dry and windy.

Running in New Orleans was like nothing I'd ever experienced, which is funny since I grew up there. But, being a kid and running around outside is totally different from being an adult and running around with a specific purpose. As an adult, you are more aware of your environment and pay attention to all those things that will have a negative effect on your body. Being an adult, there are more things that can have negative effects on your body. Well, I guess it's more correct to say, as an adult you are more aware of those things.
It's nice when all of those things fall into place and everything becomes a positive effect. That's what the New Orleans race felt like for me. All positive!

Our club running coach thinks I can run faster. So do I. I think with more focused and uninterrupted training, I could have easily done New Orleans in 2:15. Now I need to see if I can run 2:30 here in Colorado. :-)

Today I ran an easy 8 miles with the ARC. We did two 4 mile loops. I'm so over running against traffic though. Next time I think Sarah and I will find some where else to run, like the sidewalk path along Standley Lake. I have a hard time paying attention to what I'm doing and to all the cars and still trying to hold a conversation during our runs. It's a good thing she doesn't mind talking. I certainly don't mind being the listener. It helps the run go by faster.

Next race on the calendar is the NCAA 4Kay run in Denver on March 31. Followed by the Platte River half marathon on April 15th. Followed by the Greenland 8 Mile Trail Run on May 5th. Woo hoo!! It's going to be a great running season!

(Knock on wood.)

No comments:

Post a Comment