Friday, June 24, 2011

Happy Trails!

Wow! I hadn't run since the half on the 12th. Has it really been that long? How did I let that happen? Well, it doesn't matter anymore because I had a very nice run in Chautauqua. We did about 3.26 miles in about an hour and 13 minutes. I was so looking forward to this run since it had been so long for me. And the trail is a nice place to get your groove back.

What I like about trail runs is that you get more bang for your buck. We only ran about 3 miles or so but put in over an hour of time. We moved slowly at times but also pushed up some hills for a short time. Navigating the rocks and roots makes for a multifaceted workout that I don't get in even an hour long road run. My glutes were happy! I also think I have better running form on the trails. I hold my head up straighter to look ahead for obstacles and turns. My arms are looser as I bound from one spot to the next over rocks. I think I even move my feet quicker because of the obstacle. I also think my shoes make a difference. I bought an inexpensive pair of Adidas trail shoes at Sports Authority. There isn't much rise in the heel and there isn't much cushion either. And they feel great! I'm going to adjust the shoe strings a little tighter next time so my foot doesn't move around so much in them. I really like them. I haven't done much distance with them yet but, I'm sure I will at some point.

At the start of our run, another hiker warned us of a bear on one of the trails. We weren't planning to go that way so we carried on. We made it as far as the NCAR connector trail before heading back. Some day we'll bring two cars and some food and extra water to make the complete trek. That'll be fun. :-)

Next week my mini trail running group from work moves our runs to Tuesdays instead of Thursdays. 

No comments:

Post a Comment